Bus Services to and from The Barlow
An introduction to bus local bus services and concessionary fares for students in Greater Manchester
Passengers can pay a fare to the driver for each journey shown on this timetable. However, students will need to show an IGO pass to travel at the concessionary (reduced) fare. If students do not have an IGO pass, they will have to pay a higher fare.
Most of the journeys shown in this timetable are funded by Transport for Greater Manchester (TfGM). The majority of TfGM funded services charge a standard fare, although some journeys do have additional fare bands. Daily return tickets are available on many services. In some cases, the return ticket can also be used for travel on other journeys which serve similar areas – even if it is provided by a different operator.
If a daily return ticket is available on TfGM funded services, students can also buy a weekly scholars ticket, which costs £6.50. These are available from the bus driver on all services where they are applicable. To help the driver, please try to have the correct fare when buying your ticket.
A summary of fares and ticketing information on all school services included in this timetable can be found at:
There are also a small number of TfGM funded services where the operator sets the fares. You will need to check with the operator what fares are available.
Secondary School Travel Pass:
Yellow School Buses:
The Yellow School bus service: Y28
The following information outlines the application process for Yellow School Bus passes for the next academic year:
- The TfGM online portal will be open between 1 June and 30 June for pupils to apply for their annual Yellow School Bus pass.
- The portal can be found at www.tfgm.com/buses/yellowschoolbus where FAQ’s and service maps will be available.
- The applicant will choose which Yellow School Bus they wish to use.
- The applicant will receive an e-mail with a unique reference number to confirm the application has been received.
- The portal will close on 30 June to assess applications that have been received.
- Passes will be sent out during July and August.
- Unsuccessful applicants will be advised by e-mail.
- The portal may open again in mid-July but only for Yellow School Bus Services that still have spaces available.
- Pupils should also ensure that they either already have an igo card or have applied for an igo card in order to use the Yellow School Buses
Places are limited. Applicationsmustbe made before 30 June to maximise chances of securing a place.
Call Operational Service Planning TfGM 0161 244 1000 for more informaiton.
Yellow School Bus journeys have special travel conditions and can only be used by students who hold a Yellow School Bus passwhich is valid for that journey (in addition to an IGO pass). Students who wish to use a Yellow School Bus should go to http://www.tfgm.com/buses/yellowschoolbus/Pages/default.aspx for details on how to apply for a pass.
The IGO Pass:
All students between the ages of 11 and 16 need an IGO pass if they wish to travel at the concessionary (reduced fare) rate on buses.
The IGO pass is like an ID card and proves that the student is aged 16 or under. It must be carried on all journeys and shown to the driver before paying the fare.
The IGO pass costs £10 and can only be bought by students who live, or go to school in Greater Manchester.
More information on IGO and an application form to get an IGO pass is on the TfGM website at http://igo.tfgm.com
(Please note: students who are entitled to a free Scholars Travel Pass for journeys between home and school and students aged between 16 and 19 who have a Scholars Concessionary Pass, do not need an IGO Pass for these journeys)