All pupils are expected to wear:
- The Barlow blazer with school crest (Years 7-10)
- The Barlow black jumper with school crest (Year 11 only).
- White shirt/blouse with stiff collar. This must be tucked in.
- School Tie.
- The Barlow maroon V-Neck jumper with logo (Optional, Years 7-10).
- Boys: Black tailored trousers. No jeans.
- Girls: Either a straight black school skirt with opaque tights, no more than two inches above the knee OR black tailored school trousers and plain black ankle socks (no trainer socks, no frills).
- Plain black shoes – the shoes must be of leather or leather-style material. Trainers and boots are not acceptable, nor is canvas footwear. Shoes should not have a brand logo visible.
Please note: Tight fitting ‘tube’ skirts of stretchy material are not permitted. Black jeans/corduroy or tight-fitting leggings/jegging style are not permitted.
In order to support parents in understanding the styles of skirts and trousers that are permitted, please see the images below.
Jewellery & Make-up
For reasons of health and safety we do not allow pupils to wear jewellery in our school. Pupils should not be wearing a retainer if they have had a piercing during the school term. Make-up is not permitted to be worn. Acrylic nails are not allowed in school, nor is the wearing of nail varnish. Nails should be kept to a sensible length. Eyelash enhancements and fake tan are not permitted in school.
We recognise that there will always be a variety of hairstyles worn by pupils. Whilst remaining tolerant of most styles, we will treat as a breach of discipline haircuts that are extreme – haircuts where patterns, stripes or letters have been cut into the pupil’s hair; or hair that is dyed in bright or unnatural colours. Hair must be one colour and the colour MUST BE NATURAL. Pupils with long hair MUST HAVE THEIR HAIR TIED BACK throughout the school day using a bobble or a scrunchie. Hair accessories should be discrete and plain black in colour.
Outdoor Coats & Hoodies
Pupils are forbidden to wear hoodies, track suit tops, sport jackets or body warmers in and around school. Outdoor coats MUST BE PLAIN AND A DARK COLOUR. Pupils are not permitted to wear light-coloured coats e.g., white/yellow, nor coats that are of an inappropriate material, e.g., fur/denim/leather.
If you require any further information, then a copy of the Uniform Policy can be found on our website in the policies section. Additionally, please contact your child’s Head of Year in the first instance.
490 Wilbraham Road Chorlton M21 9AS
PE – Girls:
- White polo t-shirt with school logo
- Maroon shorts
- Leggings with The Barlow logo
- White ankle socks
- (Optional) black tracksuit bottoms and sweatshirt with school logo
- (Optional) shower proof coat
PE – Boys:
- White polo t-shirt with school logo (indoor use)
- Maroon and black rugby jersey (outdoor use)
- Black shorts – with The Barlow logo
- White socks
- Black football socks
- Football boots
- Shin guards
- (Optional) Black tracksuit bottoms, with school logo
- (Optional) shower proof coat – with The Barlow logo
- Hoodies, sweatshirts or tracksuit tops are not permitted
- A wrist watch may be worn at owner’s risk. Other jewellery of any sort is forbidden including nose, ear and tongue studs.
- Make up and nail varnish is forbidden
- A strong rucksack or holdall is required. A separate bag may be needed for physical education equipment
- Pupils should not bring iPods, mobile phones or any other items of value into school
Parents are strongly advised to ensure that personal property, including all items of uniform, are clearly marked with their child’s name. Whilst every effort will be made to safeguard property, the school cannot be held responsible for any loss or damage.