“All children whose statement of special needs or Educational Health Care Plan names the school, must be admitted. If the school is not oversubscribed, applicants will be offered a place.” You can contact the school regarding admissions on 0161 445 8053 .
Year 7 Admissions
The admissions process begins at the start of the autumn term, for entry the following September. The parents of Year 6 pupils will automatically receive information about the application process through the post. This will explain how you can apply for your child’s place at The Barlow by using the local authority’s common application form. Please click here for the Application Form.
The deadline for applications for September 2020 places is the end of October 2019. For any late applications, please contact the Local Authority as soon as you possibly can.
- Applications – parents/carers of secondary school aged children who are new to the area/UK and are looking to apply to The Barlow, should contact Manchester Local Authority Admissions Team on 0161 245 7166 or complete an application form.
- Transfers – parents/carers of secondary school aged children who are at another Manchester school and looking to transfer to The Barlow, should complete a transfer form which will be available on request from the child’s current school.
The Barlow is an inclusive Roman Catholic Secondary School provided by the Diocese of Salford and maintained by the Manchester Local Education Authority as a Voluntary Aided School.
The parish communities served by the school are St Ambrose Barlow, St Bernard’s St Bernadette’s, St Catherine’s and St Cuthbert’s. Nevertheless, our students come from a wide range of backgrounds and many are drawn from outside the parishes because parents, although not all Catholic, are attracted by the school’s inclusive and caring ethos.
The Barlow’s associated primary schools are St Ambrose, St Bernard’s, St Catherine’s and St Cuthbert’s, however, over the past two years, children have come to us from a variety of schools, including:
- Beaver Road Primary School, Didsbury
- Broadoak Primary School, East Didsbury
Button Lane Primary School, Northern Moor
Cavendish Road Community Primary, West Didsbury
- Didsbury C of E Primary School, Didsbury
- Green End Primary School, Burnage
- Ladybarn Primary School, Withington
- Lum Head Primary School, Gatley
- Mauldeth Road Primary School, Withington
- Northenden Community School, Northenden
- St Aiden’s RC Primary School, Northern Moor
- St Kentigern’s RC Primary School, Fallowfield
St Mary’s RC Primary School, Levenshulme
St Paul’s C of E Primary School, Withington
- St Wilfrid’s C of E Primary School, Northenden
St Richard’s RC Primary School, Longsight
- The Divine Mercy RC Primary School, Rusholme
More information from the Local Authority
Visit the school information pages on the Manchester City Council website for more information about the schools’ admissions process. The Local Authority is required to have an Admissions Scheme which explains how school places will be allocated at schools and academies.
Year 7 in September (Secondary Admissions Round): With applicants for Year 7 in the secondary admissions round, when the School is oversubscribed with more applicants than places, students will be placed on a waiting list and allocated criteria as per the schools Admission Policy. The allocated criteria submitted will determine a waiting list order. Where vacancies occur parents/carers will be contacted should a place become available. In Year Admissions: For In Year admissions where the School is oversubscribed with more applicants than places, students will be placed on a waiting list and the following over-subscription criteria will apply:
- Baptised Roman Catholic Looked After Children and previously Looked After Children.
- Baptised Roman Catholic children who have a sibling in the school at the time of admission.
- Baptised Roman Catholic children resident in one of the above named parishes.
- Other Baptised Roman Catholic children.
- Non Baptised Looked After Children and previously Looked After Children.
- Non Baptised children who have a sibling at the time of admission.
- Children with proven and exceptional medical and social needs where admission to the school might best help satisfy those exceptional needs.
- Other Children by approval of the schools admission panel.
Should you be unsuccessful in your application for a place at The Barlow you have the right to appeal to the Local Authority. The Appeals team can be contacted by telephoning the Local Authority – 0161 245 7166.